Tuesday 1 April 2014

The Fiqh Of Chilling

The Fiqh Of Chilling

Sheikh Saad Tasleem



For full notes: click here

Introduction

All of us reach a point in our lives when we realise that this Dunya is just not enough, that there is more to life than just chasing after a good job or house or car or going to school or meeting the perfect spouse and so on. Some of us have already had that realisation. For some it may come tonight or tomorrow or next month or maybe next year. 

One of the worst times to have the realisation is on our death beds. And The worst time to come to this realisation is on the day of judgement, when we no longer would have the chance to repent and we ask Allah ‘send me back so I can do some good’.

When a person comes to this realisation and his NAFS cries out to his Lord and tries to get close to Allah (SWT), Shaitan is on alert
*He tries his best to discourage us with excuses and a lot of the misconceptions we have are tricks of Shaitan*

Let’s take a look at some of these misconceptions:-

1) If I become religious, my life will no longer be fun, I am going to be always frowning
One of the first places that Shaitan attacks is our social life.

Shaitan’s excuse: 
- My  life is fun and I want to live a happy,enjoyable life and if I were to become religious, my life would no longer be fun.
- If I were to totally submit to Allah or become religious, I would have to be very serious and I'm always going to be frowning.

Reality check:
 Yes, Sometimes the image certain people with hijab or beard give is such that we feel they must always be frowning. However this goes completely against the Sunnah of prophet (SAW). Indeed, the companions said the Prophet (saw) was never seen not smiling. One of the most outstanding things about the Prophet’s (saw) character was his jovial attitude and his interest in what little kids had to do. 

This is beautifully illustrated in the following hadiths:

Abu Tayyah reported that he heard Anas ibn Malik say, "The Prophet (saw) used to mix with us. He grew so close to us that he once said to my little brother, "Ya Abu Umair! Ma Fa'ala Nughayr*?"


*This is a play on words (Umayr and Nughayr). First for the Prophet (saw) to call a child "Abu" anyone, is a way of being playful. Second, it seems that the boy had a pet bird named Nughayr and was rarely seen without it. Thus, when the Propeht (saw) did not see the bird he asked him the question.
[ reported in Sahih Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, Nas'i, and Tirmidhi]

He even joked around with his companions and in turn they joked around with him too. However he (saw) was moderate in his playfulness and never resorted to any extremes. He was serious and firm when the situation needed it.  This is the balance in Islam.  This is the Sunnah of our prophet (saw) that we need to aspire to follow.
And the Prophet (saw) has said - The one who goes away from my Sunnah is not from me (Prophet SAW)

2) If I become religious, I will never have time to chill and if I were ever to chill, people would say ‘Astaghfiullah’.

Shaitan’s excuses in your head
Why would I want to give up all that fun?
Why would I bring such difficulty upon myself?

Reality:
Prophet (saw) told his companions “there is a time for this and a time for that”, meaning there is a time for chilling and a time for Ibadah.For the proper application of the Sunnah, we need to see and learn from the Sahabas,the best of generations.

Bakr ibn Abdullah reported that "The Companions of the Prophet (saw) used to throw watermelon rinds at each other. But when it was time to be serious, they were men."

 3) I will just hangout less

Shaitan’s excuse:
I will have less time to do the things I enjoy.
I have to devote all my time to Ibadah

 Reality:
This is not what Islam came to do. Islam did not come to tell you that there is no time for relaxation or no time to chill. All Islam came to do is tell you how to live within the boundaries that Allah, the one who created you, has set for you, And in turn, benefit you. You would find most peace and happiness by living within the boundaries of those Shariah.

4) If I become religious, I’ll have to give up my friends

Shaitan’s excuse:
If I come to be known as a religious person, I will have to loose my friends.

Reality:
Maybe part of it is true.  When you try to get closer to Allah, your soul desires friends that are better for you. If they are not right for you, your nafs would tell you these friends aren't right for you, if they do not bring you closer to Allah or they will make it difficult for you to maintain Taqwa. So this is in turn a blessing from Allah (swt) that you are able to look at your friends and realise which of them are bringing you closer to Allah and which of them may be harming your Akhira/afterlife.


5) If I become religious, my life will become complicated
This is a another trick of Shaitan. He wants to make you feel Islam will make your life more complicated
Shaitan’s excuse
 -For every little thing, I’ll have to find the fatwa
 - Is this halal, is this water halal, is this meat halal?
 - Am I allowed to wear this jacket..

Reality:
When it comes to matters other than Ibadah, the default ruling is- 
“Everything is permissible except where there is proof to show otherwise”

For instance if someone tells you wearing this red shirt is Haram, ask them if there is a clear proof to say it is not permitted. Indeed, it is permissible, unless there is an authentic proof to say it is not permissible. That’s how simple Islam is!

However, when it comes to Ibadah, the rule flips- “everything is impermissible, except what Allah has legislated”. For instance if you start dancing on the mossalah, and someone asks you what you are doing and you say “I am praying maghrib”. This is  impermissible, unless there is an authentic proof to prove it is permissible.


6)If I become religious, people will ask me questions and I will need to know all the answers

Shaitan’s excuse
-          I will need to know all the rulings on this or the rulings on that
-          I will need to answer all why I do this or why I do that

Reality:
Allah (swt) is not going to hold you accountable for not being a scholar. Meaning you need not have an opinion about every single thing out there. Allah does not expect everyone in the community to be an A’lim (scholar). Indeed if we take the example of the Sahaba ,if they needed an answer to any question, they simply went up to the Prophet(saw) . 

Similarly, we do not know the answer to a question, simply refer the person to someone more knowledgeable or whose advice you trust. And, that is your responsibility. 







And We did not send before you except men, towards whom We sent divine revelations - so O people, ask the people of knowledge if you do not know.[16:43]

7) I don’t want my religious crowd judging me based on my non-religious friends

Shaitan’s excuse:
-          The religious people will judge me if I hang out with my non religious friends.
-          How would it be if I happen to run into my non religious friends and they see me changed?
-          How can I keep separate my religious and non religious friends?

Reality:
These are very trivial reasons for not wanting to practice Islam.
Indeed what we need instead is to have izza/pride in our Deen. We need to take pride in our Deen. If we do, then we would be happy to meet non-religious friends(during Jahil/Ignorant Days) and even explain to them how our Deen has changed us for the better. Be grateful to Allah, and say , Alhamdulillah! as Allah took you away from the Jahiliyah/Ignorant times and brought you back to Islam.


8) I don’t want to be known as a hypocrite

Shaitan’s excuse:
-          If I give out the image that I'm religious and I commit a sin, then I would be a hypocrite.
-          I ask people to do good but I sin my self
-          Either I be perfect in my Deen or don’t bother practicing.

Reality:
None of us are perfect. If we live with the ideal of perfection, we can never keep up the impossible standards and we would set ourselves up for failure.

As the prophet (saw) said:
All the sons of Adam are sinners and the best among the sinners are those who repent.’ (Ahmad and others)

So Allah (swt) does not expect us to be perfect Muslims. All Allah (swt) asks of us it that we try and keep trying our best until the angel of death comes upon us.


9) Why even bother being religious when I commit all these sins

Shaitan’s excuse:
-          I want to go to the masjid but I sometimes drink alcohol
-          I just don’t feel worthy of going to the masjid.
-          I don’t feel clean

Reality:
If you cut your connection with Allah (swt), if you cut your Salah, how are you even going to improve? Just because a person sins, doesn't mean they shouldn't do any of the good actions. 
Of course we should correct our sins, but we shouldn't let our sin stop us from our good deeds.

The Messenger of Allaah (SAW) said, By He in whose hand is my soul, if you did not sin, Allah would wipe you out and bring into existence people who did sin, ask Allah for forgiveness - and He would forgive them.’ (Muslim)

The scholars say, ‘if we regret after a sin, it’s a rahmath/mercy from Allah (swt)”
Use that regret to repent and return to Allah (swt)  with the intention of not repeating it. And, this is a good regret. 
Anas (radhiallahu anhu) said that he heard the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) say: 
“Allah the Exalted said: “O son of Adam! As long as you invoke Me and plead to Me, I will forgive you whatever you have committed, and I will not make much of it. O son of Adam! If your evil deeds reach the borders of the sky, and then you ask Me for forgiveness, I will forgive you. O son of Adam! If you bring forth the earth full of errors, then you meet Me while you do not associate anything (or anyone) with Me, I will bring forth for you its full of forgiveness.” [At-Tirmidhee (Shaikh Albanee rendered it as Hasan)]

10) The deen is too difficult, I cant do this anymore

Sometimes a practising brother or sister, in their zeal to practice the Deen, give their 150%- that is, they research every fatwa for everything and follow the most toughest ruling on it, assuming the toughest has to be the right one . They end up doing this in all matter of the Deen and finally they will become overwhelmed. They overload themselves and in the end, and they go back to the other extreme and give up practising the Deen altogether. And, this is a sad status that a person can go through. 

Instead, what we need to do is always follow the middle path. That is true Islam.
 
“And thus we have made you a middle nation….”
The Noble Quran 2:143


The main problem that causes people to have these misconceptions is a lack of knowledge (ilm). So the most important thing we need to do for saving ourselves and others from falling into these traps of Shaitan is to educate ourselves and learn to follow the middle path.


References:






2 comments:

  1. Masha'allah! Very nice post. I shall try to be a better Muslim. In Shaa Allah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jazakillah Khayr Sister Saadia. Yes, In Shaa Allah :D

      Delete